Roof rack storage boxes

Chit Chat about general subjects.
Gasface

Roof rack storage boxes

Post by Gasface »

Hi all, sorry for so many questions as of late, getting organised for a December trip.

Does anyone know where I can get some off road storage boxes for a roof rack? I'm looking for something like a wolf pack from FrontRunner (saw it at Icon dubai, too small) or a pelican case like they sell at ARB (too expensive!) I end to throw gear in them and secure them to the rack using ratchets so the plastic boxes they sell at carrefour aren't really idea.

Many thanks on any help anyone can provide. Also, I'll be them used off anyone if they're selling.

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Roof rack storage boxes

Post by Code Red »

Dear Gasface,

I would strongly advise you to find space inside the car for your gear. Roof racks are the worst possible place to store things on the kinds of trips we do with the club. Storing things up high has a truly terrible effect on the vehicle's center of gravity. Every gram you put on a roof rack will make your vehicle less stable and more prone to rollovers. This is not crucial on tarmac, but on a side slope or side crest it quickly becomes dangerous. This may seem over-cautious based on newbie rides, but when you see some of the spicier intermediate rides and any of the advanced or expert rides, you will understand the concerns. I had a member get stuck this weekend on a newbie drive in a place where a loaded roof rack might have been enough to roll him. It's just not worth it.

The club does a lot of camping, but the "expedition" style set-up is not a good choice for the kind of high-speed driving you will encounter on more advanced trips. Rollovers do happen. Even on lower level trips. Anyone who does this sport long enough will eventually roll their car, but there's no reason to accelerate it by putting extra weight up on the roof.

If you feel that I am overly cautious. Because after all , the photos in all those magazines couldn't be wrong. ;) Then go ahead, but please think about what you put up there. Only put light weight stuff up high. Bedding, pillows, feathers, hopes and dreams, unicorns, etc.... Absolutely avoid things like tools, recovery gear, water, fuel, tents, firewood, high lift jacks, shovels, etc .... That's just asking for trouble.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

Code Red
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Re: Roof rack storage boxes

Post by Code Red »

On another note, I have four of the wolf pack boxes from Frontrunner. I have not been very impressed. They are too small, difficult to access, and quickly deform when you start using a ratchet strap to tighten them down. I am going to replace mine with the Rubbermade Action Packers or something similar. They are cheaper, available in a variety of sizes, and hold up to ratchet straps better.
LC76 - It's what Rubicons want to be when they grow up . . .

scotchyl
Marshal
Marshal

Roof rack storage boxes

Post by scotchyl »

My off road equipment is stored in bushranger bag behind drivers seat in footwell, large ARB hold-all and Warn winch bag strapped to floor in back of jeep. It ain't moving from there. Secure inside car and optional net over whole lot just in case anything moves.

I remember a friend who had an incident on a private camping trip. Everything was tied down in jeep with ratchet straps from ace harfware and covering net except cool box which had a bungee cord around it. Guess what hit his passenger, I've block from cool box and needed some minor bandages. So that was from a heavy landing, in a jeep. Outside on top I have cars lean far too easily and one turn turtle.

With code red on this one. If it's expedition maybe, but not the desert, sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkbp
Focus on the future, that's where your life is going. Focus on the past and you will go nowhere.

Kalahari
Advanced
Advanced

Roof rack storage boxes

Post by Kalahari »

We have driven extensively through Sub Saharan Africa and I can definitely confirm that loaded roof racks significantly affect the Centre of gravity.

I agree fully with Code Red and Scotchyl.

Cheers Andrew

Sent from my iPad using TapatalkImage
Andrew
056 264 0635
JK