Is your Radio (Wakie Talkie) legal?

Chit Chat about general subjects.
futureshock999
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Is your Radio (Wakie Talkie) legal?

Post by futureshock999 »

Nen82 wrote:So then, the radios they sell on Dragon Mart/Motorola store are FRS?

Are FRS OK to communicate within the convoy? Any brand/model you would recommend?

In any case, I will limit the use from deflation to inflation only. (And I will keep my logbook and plenty of pictures from the desert trip at hand hehe)
FRS stands for "Family Radio Service"....basically hand-held, low-power walkie talkies that you can use to keep track of your group in places where mobile signals might not be available. Ski hills, amusement parks, etc. And, funnily enough, in the dunes.

There are TWO types of FRS radios - one with American standard frequencies, and on that uses a European FRS band. They do not seem to be compatible, although some radios may do both. In addition, FRS has two bands - a VHF (Very HIgh Frequency) and a UHF (Ultra High Frequency.

Basically, any make and model of FRS radio will be compatible with the UAE standard for 4x4 driving if it:
1) Has the AMERICAN FRS frequencies, or is programmable to them
2) Has UHF frequencies at a minimum - most decent radios have both UHF and VHF.

I said UAE standards as if it was a real thing - no, there isn't an official policy, but all 4x4 clubs seem to have an informal agreement on what frequencies to use and for what channel to call each frequency. That's nice to know in case you ever have to call for help and don't have a mobile signal.

Other than that, I would look for models that have LiON batteries, as they are better about holding a charge between charging and using them. Also they don't develop any memory effect, limiting the usefulness of the radios over time due to decreasing power. The "Motorola" FRS radios sold in Dragon Mart may or may not be copies, but they DO work and are fairly priced, have LiON batteries, and usually come pre-programmed with all the right frequencies. Buy two...trust me, life is easier with a spare.
In the sand, there is truth.

Nen82

Post by Nen82 »

Thanks for the clarification mate!

I'll keep that in mind ;)

talbahri

Post by talbahri »

Hi,
There is an official policy about the use of spectrum. In UAE all Outdoor spectrums (even your normal Wifi spectrum 2.4 and 5G) requires a license if used outdoors. This is a fact and your can refer to TRA if you like.
Thank you,

Aidy
Marshal
Marshal

Is your Radio (Wakie Talkie) legal?

Post by Aidy »

Hi Tariq great to hear from you and hope to see you soon in the sand my friend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"We give advice by the bucket, but take it by the grain"