AEV Pre-Filter or Rugged Ridge Pre-Filter

Chit Chat about general subjects.
The Oryx
Advanced
Advanced

AEV Pre-Filter or Rugged Ridge Pre-Filter

Post by The Oryx »

Hi,

I have a bit of dilemma and would like to get some advice!

I am going to buy a exterior snorkel but im wondering if i should get the AEV Snorkel with the Pre-Filter (self cleaning) or get the standard bonnet Snorkel with the Rugged Ridge Pre-Filter (or similar, the one that looks like a glass coffee pot!).

From what i understand they sell them & install them at Ramys... If you know of anywhere else, please let me know.

Which one should i get? and why?

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Best regards,

Dailos
"The Oryx"
JK - Trail Hawk II / 2015

.: Dailos :.
Gran Canaria
056 686 0003

Dubai

Phoenix Rising
Ambassador
Ambassador

Re: AEV Pre-Filter or Rugged Ridge Pre-Filter

Post by Phoenix Rising »

Hi Dailos,

Congrats on finally getting the new ride!

I am a going to fit the AEV setup (on its way across the Atlantic as we speak) as it is self cleaning and looks better I believe. The other type works well too but as you say you need to clean it occasionally. The majority of snorkel users tend to have the ram air intake only and fit a DIY pre-filter of sorts (a ladies 10 denier stocking for example) although you can buy custom made ones. It is a matter of choice (and cost) but my advice would be to fit the snorkel and prefilter early in your JK's life as I know a few people who have had engines changed due to sand ingress, as you do too!!

AEV (and the Chinese version) require the bonnet cutting to fit the snorkel whereas the RR one doesn't, however you do need to remove the wing I believe as the intake pipe runs through the wheel arch. Sacha and Bambam are your test case examples!!

See you in the sand soon.

:ad4x4:
Jeremy *****
+971 54 4885882

2017 Porsche Cayman 718 for On Road Fun!
2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 V8 (Silver Surfer) for light Off Road fun!
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Bazinga!) Sold
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (Phoenix) - Retired Hurt :-(
2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ Manual (Green Giant) - Sold

The Oryx
Advanced
Advanced

Re: AEV Pre-Filter or Rugged Ridge Pre-Filter

Post by The Oryx »

Hey Jeremy,
Apologies for the late reply & thank you for your advice!

I have decided to buy the AEV Snorkel with the Pre-Filter from Ramy as it was the easiest option for me!. I like doing DIY stuff, but im not that good yet to do it myself and i get the warranty from them if anything goes wrong!.

It is a big filter!, i put it next to the coffee pot looking one and its about an inch bigger either side!!! but hey, if its good for the engine i don't care how it looks!!!

I had my first newbie drive the other day with Iqsaan which was fantastic! hope you can get a car soon so we can go for a drive.

Thanks again for all you help and speak to you soon!!!

Regards,

Dailos :D
"The Oryx"
JK - Trail Hawk II / 2015

.: Dailos :.
Gran Canaria
056 686 0003

Dubai