A Must have Off-Road Gear. Your check list.

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

A Must have Off-Road Gear. Your check list.

Post by MegaMoe »

To our new members and the new offroaders, i totally recommend the following gear to be with u all the time whenever u decide into going to the desert. make it as a checklist:
1- Make sure you have proper recovery points on your car (Not Broken, not bent, not made in some koko mambo senaya shops)
2- Jack and Jacking board (Advise, dont get the AIR JACKs, they're not made for our weather tempreture. get hydrulic jacks they're the best and be sure they can take came the weight of your car)
3- RATED Tow Strap/Rope ( Dont buy one from carrefour etc etc. go to ACE or other specialized 4x4 equipment shops and get a rated one)
4- RATED Shakles (Again get Rated shakles from specialized shops. 2 at least.)
5- 1st Aid Kit.
6- Tyre Guagues/Deflators.
7- Shovel.
8- Basic Toolkit.
9- Proper Air Compressor (Get one from ACE, not the made in "nowhere" brand"
10- Gloves (you car is hot)
11- Make sure your spare tyre is in good condition.

thats all i can remember.
Last edited by MegaMoe on Tue Oct 10, 2006 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

4x4er
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 4x4er »

Hi,

Just wanted some info on tow strap/ropes.. Have heard that a good place to get construction-industry ropes (used on cranes) are at the hardware stores on Najda street. Anybody have any experience buying/using these ropes?

Also, does ACE have rated shackles? What rating should I get for use with the Wrangler?

Need to get my kit in order! :?

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

4x4er wrote:Hi,

Just wanted some info on tow strap/ropes.. Have heard that a good place to get construction-industry ropes (used on cranes) are at the hardware stores on Najda street. Anybody have any experience buying/using these ropes?

Also, does ACE have rated shackles? What rating should I get for use with the Wrangler?

for the tow strap, i'd prefer u get the one from ace, test, afordable and reliable. other places like najda/mina they dont know what is rating etc. Shakles yes, get it from ACE too, all their shakles are rated.
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

adiga
Deputy Chairman & Co founder
Deputy Chairman & Co founder

Post by adiga »

From my experience with the straps, the best I found is the ARB Rated to 8000 or 12000lb. cos. It is a snatch straps, 20% stretch.
“Do for this life as if you live forever,
do for the afterlife as if you die tomorrow”

konradh

Post by konradh »

4x4er wrote:Hi,

Anit there is a shop on Defense Road at the intersection when you turn right from Salam St., its called Technical Equipment Supplies. Its inline with Lamasat. They have cargo straps with 40 ton capacity. At very affordable prices. But if I were you I would still stay with Moe's advice go to ACE or buy at ARB. My ARB's been beaten up so many times and has never given way and believe me I've anchored and pulled stuff like hell.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

I also recommend Ace & ARB straps.

For the Shakels. There is a very good shop in Najda that sells all sizes and kinds of shakels. They are not cheap by the way. I bought mine for 40 Dirhams each from there but you can see they are used almost every trip. If you want we can go together one day. Just give me a shout
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Mpenzi

Re: A Must have Off-Road Gear. Your check list.

Post by Mpenzi »

megamoe wrote:To our new members and the new offroaders, i totally recommend the following gear to be with u all the time whenever u decide into going to the desert. make it as a checklist:
1- Make sure you have proper recovery points on your car (Not Broken, not bent, not made in some koko mambo senaya shops)
2- Jack and Jacking board (Advise, dont get the AIR JACKs, they're not made for our weather tempreture. get hydrulic jacks they're the best and be sure they can take came the weight of your car)
3- RATED Tow Strap/Rope ( Dont buy one from carrefour etc etc. go to ACE or other specialized 4x4 equipment shops and get a rated one)
5- 1st Aid Kit.
7- Shovel.
8- Basic Toolkit.

One more,
A piece of wood to put under your jack. In sand without the wood ..........
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

One guy on dubai 4x4 is selling inertia ropes 10m for 110 dirhams.
Check it up.

khaiwi
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Re: A Must have Off-Road Gear. Your check list.

Post by khaiwi »

Mpenzi wrote:
megamoe wrote:To our new members and the new offroaders, i totally recommend the following gear to be with u all the time whenever u decide into going to the desert. make it as a checklist:
5- 1st Aid Kit.
7- Shovel.
8- Basic Toolkit.

One more,
A piece of wood to put under your jack. In sand without the wood ..........
The Jack and board are in point (2)

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Okay I guess I missed out point (2)

seiftawfik
Advanced
Advanced

Post by seiftawfik »

Just go to ACE Hardware, just been there today, and I got myself a new tow rope (Bushranger) for 99 Dhs, and two new shakles (Bushranger as well) each for 25 Dhs, they're very reliable.

Ghanem
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Ghanem »

eye protection glasses would be a good idea
2009 Jeep Wrangler Sahara 2009
2008 Mitsubishi Pajero 3.8 Ltr.

H3

Post by H3 »

Safety glasses are a good idea as Ghanem said above, I have to wear them for work all the time anyway. You can get some good un's at Al Massood Oilfield Supplies just near the Salam street Adnoc station, Redwings or Uvex are probably best. Available in different styles, with either clear, yellow or dark tint for about 25 to 35 dirhams.

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

I wear glasses already :evil: :evil:
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

Big Foot
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Big Foot »

When you mention Hydraulic jack, must it be a special one, won't the one that comes with the car be sufficient and if not, what do you suggest.
What tools do you suggest in the "Basic toolkit"?