cherokee question

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
dutt
Intermediate
Intermediate

cherokee question

Post by dutt »

In my search for a jeep cherokee, I see many different models: grand cherokee, grand cherokee limited, grand cherokee lerado, cherokee sport, cherokee, cherokee classic, keeps going on and on and on. Are these trim packages or are there differences in 4 x 4 transmissions/suspensions?

Simple question: what cherokee is best for desert driving?

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

as far as i know there is no diff. between the grand cherokee limited and the grand cherokee lerado, both are the same mech. wise, but you can get the grand cherokee limited with a V8 engine while the laredo only comes with the 6 cyl. engine which is the same engine that comes with the Cherokee and the wrangler.

cherokee sport and cherokee classic, are also all the same as i know, the only difference is with the options or as you said trim package.

now the Grand Cherokee and the Cherokee are different cars, the grand from its name is the bigger one with larger space and more options.

for desert driving i'd go with the cherokee for sure, its strong, lighter, smaller, and easy to fix, and IMO looks better than the Grand Cherokee (sorry GC owners :roll: we used to have one no hard feelings :p) plus more mods are avilable for the cherokee than the grand cherokee.

i suggest you take a look at defenders cherokee, its in the 4x4 sale section

http://ad4x4.com/modules.php?name=Forum ... opic&t=741

Hiso
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Hiso »

abdalla wrote: for desert driving i'd go with the cherokee for sure, its strong, lighter, smaller, and easy to fix, and IMO looks better than the Grand Cherokee (sorry GC owners :roll: we used to have one no hard feelings :p) plus more mods are avilable for the cherokee than the grand cherokee.
:evil: :evil: :angry: :badidea: :angry: :evil: :evil:
Grand Cherokee 96 with no modification .............. yet :twisted: :twisted:
HAISSAM 050- 611 4 223

defender
Advanced
Advanced

Post by defender »

i think it is sport cherokee and if it is manual ,, for me i dont feel that auto will preform as the manual..manual is best for desert.

dutt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by dutt »

Thanks for the responses. I saw defender's cherokee. It looks sweet. But it's got a few more km's than I want.

XJ
Advanced
Advanced

Post by XJ »

I did reserch before becasue i am buying a Jeep Cherokee Classic, you will be better off with Cherokee than grand cherokee, the axcel is better in cherokee than grand cherokee, plus you can find better mods for it and looks better in my openion.

but it will be very hard to find at this time of the year i have been looking for a while until i found one.
Khaldoun Amro

-OlllllllO-

abdalla
Explorer
Explorer

Post by abdalla »

Hiso :D you came to my mind when i was writing that post ... Okay, i have a solution... the cherokee looks better than the GC but not Hiso's GC ,, what do you think :wink:

dutt, well defender overhauled the engine 30k ago, i dont know man its up to you ... Good luck :wink:

DiVeR
Advanced
Advanced

Post by DiVeR »

abdalla wrote:Hiso :D you came to my mind when i was writing that post ... Okay, i have a solution... the cherokee looks better than the GC but not Hiso's GC ,, what do you think :wink:

dutt, well defender overhauled the engine 30k ago, i dont know man its up to you ... Good luck :wink:
I have a Cherokee Sports Auto and it is very much powerful as the manual 8) 8)
diver@ad4x4.com (Member #70)

Two amazing places: Underwater & Offroad

Karim
:geek:

Doc
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Doc »

i would go with the classic but then i drive a landrover so what would i know :D

seriously the GC especially with the V8 is very expensive to fix and like a disco needs lots of looking after. go with the classic
Proud to be AD4x4 Marshal.......I'M BACK!

Landrover Defender 110, 2"Lift kit, Roof tent, Large Family
Driver with sense of humor.

Landrover Discovery 1, 4.10 gears ARB front and rear lockers Landrover central diff lock, Warn winch, 2"lift, Camel Cut rear doors, 33"BFG's insane driver, Rangerover 4.6l V8 engine.

Toyota Fortuner bog standard company car (boss wont let me take it to the desert!)

KTM250SX motorcross bike for them mental desert days when a car just isn't scary enouth.

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

Well Guys,
In my Humble opinion, I own a Grand cherokee 2001, If you are comparing a grand with a cherokee till 2001, they are pretty much the same except that the Grand cherokee has an integrated body, which is not a separate chassis unlike the cherokee BUT they have the same axels ( with different ratios of course) and also the rear suspension of the cherokee was still leafs which doesn't make it as comfortable as the grand.

As for models from 2002 and later, It's a big difference as they started with an independant wheel suspension, which is not a solid axel anymore, and can take more abuze (Jumps and stuff) much better than the Wranglers and the Grands.

As for modifications, it's available for the grand also, a bit more expensive but it's available and you can take it as wild as you want,

As for the look I see the grand a beauty as it combines the elegant look of a late dinner with the agressive feeling of a jeep, the cherokee till 2001 is more agressive and the new cherokee has a very nice shape and proportions (wheel base and stuff)

Bottom line , it all depends on what you reaaly like and the way you're driving, I used to go with my Grand from newbie to EXTREME trips, of course you need to take care as it won't take the abuze like a wrangler BUT it will take you anywhere with a comfortable ride not comparable to a wrangler or a cherokee..

Cheers
Raptor Roush '14, running 37s

Chuck
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Chuck »

Hi dutt,

i am driving Cherokee ( the boxy styled ) since almost 17 years now. I also had a Grand Cherokee Model 1996 5,2 Litre for about 2 years.

The Cherokee is in my opinion a very well constructed robust car, which is also easy to be modified.

It was produced from 1984 until 2001 in a total of 2,8 million units. It is still produced in Thailand and China now.

If you take a Classic or Sport model is just up to you for your personal style and amount of money you want to spend. The Sport do not have all the accessories like the classic ( rims, leather.... ) but is still well equipped.

If you intend to lift your Cherokee you can find a lot of options for reasonable prices.

The ammount of kilometers the car has already is not a major item. The question is if it was well maintened ( oilchange... )

You can get very nice Cherokees here for 25000 DRH up to max. 35000 DRH.

The offroad capability of the Cherokee is often underestimated. With some mods ( tires, Lift... ) you can easily give it your own shape of choice and better performance.

If you take a manual or Automatic is also your choice. I think the automatic fits better to the engine and is more comfortable for daily driving. So far i had no probs with my automatic in the desert.

I can compare both now, because my Red one ( which is automatic ) is still in repair after my roll over. Right now i am driving a manual borrowed from a friend.

Hope to see you soon in in one somerwhere at a trip.

Cheers

Uwe

dutt
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by dutt »

I have a friend with a Grand Cherokee Larado. It has a quadra-drive or quadra-track (can't remember which) 4-wheel drive system. He says his is not as good in the desert as the other. Aparently one has a locking differential and the other does not. Is this true?

dutt
Intermediate
Intermediate

quadra track or quadra drive

Post by dutt »

I have a friend with a Grand Cherokee Larado. It has a quadra-drive or quadra-track (can't remember which) 4-wheel drive system. He says his is not as good in the desert as the other. Aparently one has a locking differential and the other does not. Is this true?

Miro
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Miro »

Hey Dutt,
I have a grand cherokee Laredo, There are two things, One is Quadra-Drive and the other is Quadra-trac, The difference is QudaTracII is open front diff and rear trac-lock diff...
QuadraDrive is both front and rear vari-lock diffs...

Quadra-Trac I
Quadra-Trac I is designed for Jeep Grand Cherokee owners who want the assurance of full-time all-wheel drive and no switches or levers to pull, the Quadra-Trac I is the right system. The system provides for smooth operation of the vehicle over a variety of road surface conditions. No driver interaction is required.

The NV140 transfer case splits torque 48/52 percent (front/rear) for nearly even distribution of engine power. The single-speed transfer case has been designed to rigorous Jeep durability standards while offering smooth and quiet operation. The use of Brake Traction Control System (BTCS) with the NV140 transfer case makes the 4 x 4 system extremely competent in a variety of situations. The BTC system provides resistance to any wheel that is slipping to allow additional torque transfer to wheels with traction.

Offering a single-speed transfer case attracts a new group of buyers to the Jeep Grand Cherokee lineup and builds on the capable, entry-level, two-wheel drive versions, which currently account for approximately 25 percent of Jeep vehicle sales.

Quadra-Trac II
The Quadra-Trac II 4 x 4 system gives owners the benefit of the NV245 active transfer case and BTCS. The transfer case is the same one used in the Quadra-Drive II system. It takes input from a variety of sensors to determine tire slip at the earliest possible moment and take corrective action. The system also uses Throttle Anticipate – sensing quick movement in throttle from a stop – and it takes steps to maximize traction before tire slippage even occurs.

Torque is transferred to the individual wheels as needed by the BTCS to maintain traction in changing road conditions. When the system senses tire slip, it modulates brake pressure to the slipping wheel, which directs torque to the tires with the best traction.

Quadra-Trac II features an electronic shift mechanism for ease-of-use. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing behind another vehicle.

Quadra-Drive II
The Quadra-Drive II Jeep 4 x 4 system offers owners the ultimate in off-road capability. It combines the NV245 full-time transfer case with Electronic Limited Slip Differentials (ELSD) for best-in-class tractive performance. The system instantly detects tire slip and smoothly distributes engine torque to the tires with traction. In some cases, the vehicle will even anticipate low traction and adjust to proactively limit or eliminate slip

The heart of the system is the NV245 active transfer case. This transfer case includes a center differential coupled with an electronically controlled clutch pack, varying it from a completely open state to completely locked, and infinite possibilities in between. The 4-Low gear ratio is 2.72:1.

Quadra-Drive II features an electronic shift mechanism with a unique engagement lever. The lever is conveniently located on the shift console. Pulling the lever up engages 4-Low. The lever returns to a resting position after activation. The transfer case also includes a neutral position for trouble-free towing vehicles, such as behind a motor home.

A key component in the Quadra-Drive II system is the ELSD – an industry first application – and the new benchmark for automatic traction differentials. The ELSD use electronically controlled clutch packs to automatically and instantly vary from slip to lock at each axle. This maximizes traction when needed without any of the on-road drawbacks normally associated with such a robust 4 x 4 system.

All components of the system work together, continually monitoring needs, to provide smooth and automatic application of the components for best-in-class tractive performance while improving the day-to-day on-road driving experience. For example, the ELSD releases the clutch packs in the front axle during turns to allow differentiation and prevent crow hop.

Cheers
Raptor Roush '14, running 37s