Wahiba Sands

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
RonH

Wahiba Sands

Post by RonH »

Me and a group of (dutch) people are planning to cross the wahiba sands.
Did any of you do this before,if so any tips, tracks?

Any input is welcome

I am planning the trip for december or march

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

Hi Ron,

Wahiba sands is new to me but I would like to go there as well. I suppose your route wull be the north-south entering at AL MINTIRIB?

:hat:
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

PRADA
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by PRADA »

yes i did it, what kind of infos do you need??

For Gps points, ask wasabi, he has many...

PRADA

RonH

Post by RonH »

I have started looking for the best way yesterday ( I like good planning, the trip is for a week in December)
but yes Jo that would be my guess as well, now I am looking for peope who have done this before and can share gps info (tracks, coordinates, etc)

let's see how far I can get with the planning, I will keep you guys posted

R

Mpenzi

Post by Mpenzi »

Guys
I would llike to join too.
This is part of the sand I would like to concur. Please arrange the trip just after x-MASS.
Some cars are designed to be dress-up..still dressing mine mpenzi@ad4x4.com

maddog
Advanced
Advanced

Post by maddog »

I've done 2 trips there, put unfortunately cant help you with coords :(
I'd have to look at a map to refresh myself as it was 4 (ish) years ago. One trip we entered at Al Mintrib, crossed over to coast and then south, found some villages to the south with fuel.
Sorry, I really need to look at a map to refresh myself - we had some bedu guides that basically led the way as none of us had GPS!!! Bit of an easymans way of doing it but at least they got us to fuel (the most critical element)

Not much help to you I know, but I'll do the map thing, and see if I can recall something more useful for you...
Citius, Altius, Fortius - Swifter, Higher, Stronger
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
maddog@ad4x4.com

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

Jo wrote:Hi Ron,

Wahiba sands is new to me but I would like to go there as well. I suppose your route wull be the north-south entering at AL MINTIRIB?

:hat:
yes or starting from wood land and finishing at Mintirib..... Easy drive and no big difficulty, if you go in march, I would love to come

starting from wood land is better and give the opportunity to camp on sea side before crossing the desert...and finishing by a good shower at Al Rhaha camp, the Owner is Ali and a friend of mine, you can as well call him and inform him you are crossing the wahiba in case something go wrong, you have an Omani to contact.

Wasabi

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

We are going this Eid, but not too much inside the Wahiba, as the topic is to see friends (and turtles) in Ras Al Jins

But we 'll sleep @ Al Raha Camp. I'll say hello from Wasabi to Ali! you can see the camp on Google earth at coordinates:

22°15'1.90"N 58°46'9.91"E
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Wasabi
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Wasabi »

xof wrote:We are going this Eid, but not too much inside the Wahiba, as the topic is to see friends (and turtles) in Ras Al Jins

But we 'll sleep @ Al Raha Camp. I'll say hello from Wasabi to Ali! you can see the camp on Google earth at coordinates:

22°15'1.90"N 58°46'9.91"E
Hey Xof,

yes send my regards to Ali, and try to be there before sunset, he will take you on top of the dune it is beautiful!!!!
Al Rhaha camp is 20km in to the Desert starting from Mintirib, easy drive and no difficulty it is always strait and you will see an antenna (Omantel) who is next to the camp! It will help you at night

EID MOOBARAK!!!

Wasabi

SkullsOfIron
Ambassador
Ambassador

Post by SkullsOfIron »

I've just read this in a newspaper...there's a crossing fun from 8th till 10th october...too bad I heard about it late..Would've joined them...But since you guys are doing it...count me in if it's after X-Nas and Gulf Cup..:P
It's not important where you go it's important that you go across not around -Skulls's Jeep-

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Ronh,

go read my post on Mpenzi thread "long trip". I wrote a small debriefing of my eid trip.

good luck, and don't hesitate if you need info.
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry: