H3 + New Member

Must read before joining any trip, general information about the club, grading system, , organization, rules, etc…
H3

Post by H3 »

Another trick I forgot to mention Mozi is switch off the Stability System if equipped, comes as standard on the Auto Tranny but not on manual tranny. The Stab Sys hinders desert travel in that it thinks the vehicle is entering a dangerous situation dynamically (with the usual motion encountered in the dunes) and shuts off the power momenterialy until the control module senses the vehicle has stabilised, usually when you are most in need of a bit of grunt from the engine. Which model did you purchase by the way? Base, Adventure or Lux and which transmission manual or auto? I am keen to get feedback on the manual as have not had experience of it as yet.
Stab Sys button on the right of the 4x4 control panel, press for 5 seconds and its de activated, it does not de activate the traction control and if Adventure spec you also have the rear e-locker when you really get in the mire.

Any advice, I should be able to help, thats what we are all here for.

Mozi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mozi »

I would like to thank you all again for the warm welcome.

Simon, many thanks for the feedback. It seems the first and easiest mod are the tyres. Where is the best place to do this in AD ? Can I trade in my tires and pay the difference or something? Finally with regards to the tires, how do the bigger tires drive on the highway, or in normal urban city driving? One of the things I liked about the H3 when I drove it was the smooth ride and I wonder if the bigger tires compromise that.

Finally, Diver... My passion is diving. check out this link:

http://www.5thd-x.com/expeditions/explo ... ndex2.html

This was a project where we filmed most wrecks on the coats of Lebanon, on scooters, with the highlught being the HMS Victoria that stands vertically in 150 m of waters (like a 1893 dated Tower in the Middle of the Desert)

Under "Team", my profile is the 3rd from the top, but I will post a proper intro tomorrow :)

Best,

Mozi

H3

Post by H3 »

The best place to get BFGoodrich is Al Futtaim the main agent in Musaffah, alternately go to Ramy Trading also in Musaffah and seek their advice but probably Mickey Thompson or *** Cepeck tyres there. I paid 3300 (I think?) for five BFG's and no you will not get trade in with Al Futtaim, they will only supply the tyres and reccommend fitting at National Tyre. I dont reccommend the latter but if some one can help they will on the forum for a good tyre fitting workshop. Take note guys! I'll try and get the contact details of the above tomorrow. Toyo MT's in 33" are also a pretty effective tyre, some guys in the States are running their H3's on 35" Toyo's but requires a bit more lift with the torsion bars, personnally i would save the money and go for 33's or 285's, they suit the terrain very well.
Anyone want to buy 5 x 265/75/R16 Good Year Wrangler LT's, actually you can have em, or maybe save for a bonfire, may be a big fire if Mozi decides to shed his too, a kind of H3 ritual.

4x4er
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 4x4er »

:D

H3, the bonfire should be an interesting rite of passage for H3 owners! Will provide the drums for the ritual. Just shave your heads, put on the paint, and come along to the sand..

I:lol:

4x4er
Advanced
Advanced

Post by 4x4er »

:D

H3, the bonfire should be an interesting rite of passage for H3 owners! Will provide the drums for the ritual. Just shave your heads, put on the paint, and come along to the sand..

I:lol:

Mozi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mozi »

H3 wrote:The best place to get BFGoodrich is Al Futtaim the main agent in Musaffah, alternately go to Ramy Trading also in Musaffah and seek their advice but probably Mickey Thompson or *** Cepeck tyres there. I paid 3300 (I think?) for five BFG's and no you will not get trade in with Al Futtaim, they will only supply the tyres and reccommend fitting at National Tyre. I dont reccommend the latter but if some one can help they will on the forum for a good tyre fitting workshop. Take note guys! I'll try and get the contact details of the above tomorrow. Toyo MT's in 33" are also a pretty effective tyre, some guys in the States are running their H3's on 35" Toyo's but requires a bit more lift with the torsion bars, personnally i would save the money and go for 33's or 285's, they suit the terrain very well.
Anyone want to buy 5 x 265/75/R16 Good Year Wrangler LT's, actually you can have em, or maybe save for a bonfire, may be a big fire if Mozi decides to shed his too, a kind of H3 ritual.
Many thanks H3. Ac ouple of questions:

1) Before I take the tire plunge, should I try the car as is and see / get a feel on how it performs?
2) Do the bigger tires compromise the smooth ride on road etc? What are the effects of the bigger tires?

Mozi

H3

Post by H3 »

Mozi, I would go ahead and try it out first, see how you get on first before doing anything. You never know it might just be what you are looking for as it is. You mentioned you have the twin exhaust, cat back I assume and probably the induction kit which sould give a few extra horses under the hood.

Bigger tyres did not make an appreciable difference on the highway in terms of comfort or road noise but as you are increasing the overall final drive ratio you will notice a slight reduction in accelleration. However the above mods should offset that somewhat.

Mozi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mozi »

Hi H3,

I got my H3 and I love it so far. The only thing I did not like is what I thought was significant wind noise from from the front windshield I think.

I would appreciate your feedback on the following:

In order for my car to go through the inspection before registreting they asked that I remove the side steps to see the number on the chassis (side step was hiding part of it), so Liberty is taking off the side step on Sunday.

1) Should I just keep them off?

2) Do they make a significant difference on the dunes?

3) Do I need to replace them with rock sliders? What are those and are they necessary? Where can I get them and for how much.

4) Finally what do you think about the wind noise on the high way

Many thanks and looking forward to learning from you on field off roading tricks for our cool 4x4s :)

Mozi

kareemamr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kareemamr »

Mozi Congrats Man :)

I have to tell u this to be frank ... i dont know without Simon and H3 i wouldnt have gone out in the display pic of mine and over all the car performance after simon fine tuning is awesome...

Dont believe anything mentioned in other 4x4 sites or threads...

Just enjoy your car and trust it....

Thats what i try to do with my pajero......
:)

iguana
Founder & Chairman
Founder & Chairman

Post by iguana »

kareemamr wrote:i dont know without Simon and H3
Just a small information Simon is H3
Men don't get older, toys get more expensive
islam.mantawi@hotmail.com

H3

In response....

Post by H3 »

Hi Mozi,

Seems odd to me that the side steps had to be removed in order for the cops to read the chassis number! First case I've heard of, maybe you just got an duff inspector, they failed my previous car last year for having "snow tires"?? BFG A/T's purchased in Dubai for gods sake.
Anyhow, whether you want to replace them is up to you, consider whether they will be used as steps or not and remember the MoI in this equation.
It does make quite a difference in the desert once removed as they are an extra point of contact in the sand and tend to shovel it up and if you intend to get out in the wadis and rocky stuff they are a pain I grounded my sidesteps out on the rocks in Hatta and bent one of them. I think the car looks better without them. Rocksliders are similar but run much closer to the sill or rocker panel and prevent damage to the vehicle in this area when offroad. They do not affect your overall ground clearance as the steps do. I got the OEM ones from the dealer in Abu Dhabi, around 3000AED from memory. Will try and post a pic on Sunday when I get to the office. You can get removable assist steps for the rock sliders aswell should you need a step up, infact I will sell you the pair I have if you do go down this route for a good price. My Wife (MoI) although short has now perfected a method of gracefull entry and exit so do not require them.

The wind noise issue: Have you got the roof marker lamps(4 orange markers above windshield) or the offroad spotlights? (just 2 plain glass lamps)
There was a problem with the marker light assembly causing noise and the dealer is aware of it. The other possibillity is the 2 black plastic moldings on either side of the windshield coming away at the top and causing wind to get underneath. In any case take it to Liberty workshop in Musaffah and they will sort it on warranty. I had the same trouble but fixed now.

Finally, enjoy your car as I am sure you will, just get out on a few trips and you will be more than pleased with the H3. Any other queries, just ask.

Simon.

kareemamr
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kareemamr »

"Just a small information Simon is H3"

I know iguana i meant simon and his H3 ;)

H3

Rocker protectors & Steps

Post by H3 »

Mozi, didn't get round to it yesterday, bit busy just at the mo. Photo shows the rocker panel protectors and the removable side steps. The latter held in place with 4 nuts each side. I only use 2 on each with no probs. In fact now do not use them at all as the MoI has mastered getting in and out of the car without them.

PS. Ignore the tires in the pic, replaced with proper ones now.

Mozi
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Mozi »

Hi H3,

Thanks for the reposnses and pic. I took off the side steps :) and regsitered the car. I am going to keep them off and see how I do on the Dec 1st trip. Perhaps with no sidesteps and the extra power I wont need to shell out AED for new Tires.

Couple more Qs:

1) Are the rocksliders necessary or I can go without them? If so, would you think they would take them from me at Liberty or can I trade them in or sell them or something for rock sliders?

2) Windnoise: I have the two spots on top on the 4 orange markers. Maybe I am just paranoid about the wind noise. We'll do a spin together and we ll c :)

Thanks

Mozi

H3

Re yor querie's

Post by H3 »

Firstly, like I said, go ahead and try your car out on a few trips. You may be happy with it as it is and save yourself a few Dhs spending on further modification.
Rocksliders are not really necessary in the dunes, but will be handy if you head out to the Wadi's where off the beaten track you can experience some rocker panel damaging boulders. Again assess what and where you want to use your vehicle for. Go without for now and asses the sills for damage after each trip.
I doubt Liberty will buy back your side steps or part ex them for rocksliders as all H3's imported seem to have the steps fitted. worth a try though.

Windnoise, you have to remember the H3 has the aerodynamics of a brick wall, I grant you there is some noise at highway speeds but I dont find it obtrusive, you'll get used to it even if you find it excessive over previous cars you have owned. Imagine what it's like in a Jeep....Oh sh1t did I really say that, I'll get lynched now on the next trip... sorrry guys :oops: