Clean Cars

All discussions related to your non-4x4. Mods, Maintenance, events, drag etc
wasifahmed

Re: Clean Cars

Post by wasifahmed »

Its not really varnish. Varnish is what is done on wood to get a high gloss. Its a plastic based clear coat that protects the top coat of paint from wear and tear and helps retain the gloss hense the term Laquor

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

well guys it doesnt matter what we want to call it, the water sand mix in the cleaning boys bucket will still strip it off your car....... :wink:

PR

Post by PR »

LOL - yes, same thing, but still interesting to know.

I agree varnish is applied as a finish to wood; also lacquer. Hmmm... I wonder if this is one of those UK/US usage things... let's see:

Well, a quick review of word usage on Google results shows that the most popular term in connection with car paint is: clear coat.

The second one is varnish, with quite a solid connection to "car paint", while lacquer tends to show up much more commonly with wood and not much at all connected to cars, although a few Australian sites did show. Any Aussies in the club to confirm?

Brittanica Online lists "lacquer" as it's main entry, with "varnish" in brackets, but a-ha! "varnish" as main entry explains that after application the solvent portion evaporates, leaving behind a hard, protective coating, while for "lacquer" it describes a more natural product...

So, without any idea if this is true, I'll guess that "lacquer" was the original word throughout history ("lacquer tree" is the name given to a Chinese tree from which lacquer is harvested), and then when lacquer was chemically improved in the mid-1800s it took on the name of "varnish".

I'll further guess that when US-English started gaining prominence, people started calling "varnish" with the simpler form "clear coat", which would explain its online popularity in usage.

Just guessing! :mrgreen:

BANANA MAN

Post by BANANA MAN »

General Info for those who like to break rules !

I have noticed a few guys washing cars in Madinet Zayed inside Omeir Travel Agency parking area(opp. Gold centre) . There are quite of lot of car owners coming there daily around 2.00 PM. It wont cost you more than 10 dh plus 10 min !
Best Regards,
Abraham(0504150486)

"Safest driver is the fastest driver "