TJ 1997 - Info needed

All discussions related to your non-4x4. Mods, Maintenance, events, drag etc
Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

TJ 1997 - Info needed

Post by Andy »

Hi Jeepers,

I am going to look at an early TJ tommorow its a 1997 Auto model, is there anything specific I need to look for on this model?

Cheers
Andy

MooD
Board Member
Board Member

Re: TJ 1997 - Info needed

Post by MooD »

Take it to WM in Mussafah......... 02 5546333 ........ Ask for Ranzal 0503826522....... He will tell you to Buy it or Not....
Let them check it ................... :ad4x4:
Are you Ready For Action with MooD.....

Off RoadIng Is An Art.........................
Banna ... You will be missed but never forgotten
Others & My Rights ……

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Mood wrote:Take it to WM in Mussafah......... 02 5546333 ........ Ask for Ranzal 0503826522....... He will tell you to Buy it or Not....
Thanks Mood, if the guy lets me bring it down from dubai then I will do that.....If not I will walk away

MooD
Board Member
Board Member

Post by MooD »

andleadunn wrote:
Mood wrote:Take it to WM in Mussafah......... 02 5546333 ........ Ask for Ranzal 0503826522....... He will tell you to Buy it or Not....
Thanks Mood, if the guy lets me bring it down from dubai then I will do that.....If not I will walk away
If not Take it to Sharjah To Tadmor Work Shop ..... i Don't have the Number but you Can Call Sami Aka Jeep 050 7700252
Are you Ready For Action with MooD.....

Off RoadIng Is An Art.........................
Banna ... You will be missed but never forgotten
Others & My Rights ……

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Mood wrote:
andleadunn wrote:
If not Take it to Sharjah To Tadmor Work Shop ..... i Don't have the Number but you Can Call Sami Aka Jeep 050 7700252

Thanks Mood

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

first thing to check is if you will have the budget to maintain it... :twisted:

Just kidding.
Actually, if you find a toy already modified to go to play in the sand once a week just take it.
My recommendation would be that it must be already modified, and properly modified. Min requirement should be lift kit, spacers, tyres, CB, CAI... rest is cosmetic and up to your taste (i know you love big plastic bumpers, but may be hard to find there). Furthermore, check where parts come from, who did the upgrade, etc...
Regarding possible accidents, only a control shop or professional will be able to tell you.
For the rest, you'll buy a old car, so you know what to expect. And as a reminder, it is not expensive to fix a jeep in this country.

Hope you'll have a deal soon... Then you 'll be able to catch stars easily!

good luck
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry:

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Thanks Xof,

Yes it has some mods done already, how good they are and the condition they are in I will hopefully find out tomorrow. I am concerened over its age as its a '97 but if its bascially sound then it should be ok and I would upgrade it anyhow so its not an issue.

I know there were cosmetic changes but Is there many differences mechanicaly between the early TJ and the later models?

This one is an Auto, can it be converted to manual? what are the autos like in the sand?

halwa

Post by halwa »

Andy, if you need help let me know - I will go to Dubai with you if needed.

See you soon and take care
John

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

halwa wrote:Andy, if you need help let me know - I will go to Dubai with you if needed.

See you soon and take care
John

Thanks mate, going to give the guy a call in the morning got some questions for him and then if its still worth a look then I will give you a shout.

TINTIN

Post by TINTIN »

andleadunn wrote:Thanks Xof,

Yes it has some mods done already, how good they are and the condition they are in I will hopefully find out tomorrow. I am concerened over its age as its a '97 but if its bascially sound then it should be ok and I would upgrade it anyhow so its not an issue.

I know there were cosmetic changes but Is there many differences mechanicaly between the early TJ and the later models?

This one is an Auto, can it be converted to manual? what are the autos like in the sand?
Rgarding the gearbox andy chck this thread out http://www.ad4x4.com/club/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=6452

Auto's are good in the sand, most will say better than manual as you don't lose momentum when changing gear but an auto gives you the real feel of driving, especially when driving hard. I'm thinking of swapping out my ZJ's auto for a manual ut not for a while yet.

The guys have said all that needs to be said reall, just make sure you don't have short arms and deep pockets when it comes to mods. :mrgreen:

Good luck mate and nice choice.
050 880 2485
1998 ZJ 5.2L V8 (The Bulldog)
with stuff

And more to come.

{ZJ's ROOL ALL THE REST DROOL}

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Went to have a look at the TJ, and lets just say its not the finest example...... in fact it was a piece of C***......... :(

It was '97 thats been done up to look like a later model using a lot of 2nd hand parts, initial impression wasnt good when I drove up to it and it was sat at an angle. On closer inspection at least one of the Skyjacker shocks was bent and wouldnt compress at all..!! There was a list of problems that I found, including steering (almost 1/4 turn of play) and brakes (err what brakes!!) I am no expert, but I reckon it would cost me more to get it useable and safe than it would to buy a better model....... :(

Oh well back to the drawing board, at least my wife is happy she didnt want me to get a Wrangler anyhow........something about no A/C apparently, dont know what she means.. :twisted:

Jax

Post by Jax »

Hi Andy - dunno if you've already seen this or not - but in case you haven't there is a white TJ for sale in front of the big mosque in Officer's City.
As you are coming into AD from the airport on 30th, take the road off to the right (as if you are going to Mangrove 'Spinneys') but go left instead of right at the roundabout. Go over the bridge and keep on till you see the mosque on your right.
Have no idea about condition, mods, price etc - just happened to see the 'For Sale' sign in the windscreen as I drove past on Saturday.

Good luck, it might be worth a look
Jax

kghaleb
Advanced
Advanced

Post by kghaleb »

Jax wrote:Hi Andy - dunno if you've already seen this or not - but in case you haven't there is a white TJ for sale in front of the big mosque in Officer's City.
As you are coming into AD from the airport on 30th, take the road off to the right (as if you are going to Mangrove 'Spinneys') but go left instead of right at the roundabout. Go over the bridge and keep on till you see the mosque on your right.
Have no idea about condition, mods, price etc - just happened to see the 'For Sale' sign in the windscreen as I drove past on Saturday.

Jax
I saw it on Saturday...41K 2006 auto gear..2" lifts.. asking 57k.. :mrgreen:

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

kghaleb wrote:
Jax wrote:Hi Andy - dunno if you've already seen this or not - but in case you haven't there is a white TJ for sale in front of the big mosque in Officer's City.

Jax
I saw it on Saturday...41K 2006 auto gear..2" lifts.. asking 57k.. :mrgreen:

Jax/Kghaleb,

Thanks unfortunately 57k is out of my price range.... :(

Tks.....Andy

Xof
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Xof »

Andy, let's take the problem the other way. Hom much your wife would allow for you to buy a boy toy? :mrgreen:
Xof ex marshal in China with a oo||||||oo accent

- no more toy... just an e-scooter to go to work :cry: