XC 90 off road anyone done it

All discussions related to your non-4x4. Mods, Maintenance, events, drag etc
terrib726

XC 90 off road anyone done it

Post by terrib726 »

Has anyone taken a volvo XC 90 off road here in Abu dhabi? We're moving up in size and want to know if what Volvo is claiming is true about taking an XC 90 out in the desert for some dune bashing.

Thanks
GatorGirl

Viking
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Viking »

You can probably drive around in the sand but it is not meant to be pushed. There is a big risk that you will bring either your front or rear bumper back home in the trunk. Too much electronics as in all that type of cars.
Besides this there are no proper recoverypoints.
// Eric The Viking
Back in Sweden with many good memories from AD4x4

Andy
Overseas Marshal
Overseas Marshal

Post by Andy »

Viking wrote:You can probably drive around in the sand but it is not meant to be pushed. There is a big risk that you will bring either your front or rear bumper back home in the trunk. Too much electronics as in all that type of cars.
Besides this there are no proper recoverypoints.
I agree with Viking the XC90 & Toureg are quite capable in the sand, however just like my Pathfinder the 'road freindly' bumpers are not ' dune freindly' and tend to end up in the boot on the way home..... :oops:

belbassiouni
Advanced
Advanced

Post by belbassiouni »

Volvo please don't any damage will cost you fortune
Bahaa Elbassiouni
you can call me Bob
Mobile +1 (647) 836-8713/color]
Mercedes C 200 blue efficiency CGI 2011 with AMG kit .

Black *O||||||O* JK 2007 (manual), -
HotHead Headliners to cool the hard top, -

2.5" TeraFlex lift with Fox shocks, .
Bushwacker pocket style fender flares, -
Cooper STT 285x70R17 with M/T Classic II Special Edition rims, -
Gibson Performance Split Exhaust, and -
Garvin Wilderness Trail Rack
Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch

terrib726

thanks

Post by terrib726 »

I agree wholeheartedly! I thought that was a problem. I have one thing in mind and the salesperson and hubbs have another. I WANT a 4 x 4 that we can take off road and not have to worry that it's a fortune to fix, BUT that it will do the stuff I need to do without being laid up in the shop. We are attempting to find another vehicle (this will make 3) while keeping the other 2 (I really don't want the V70 but with things the way they are now I think we are stuck for the moment) so looking to spend 40K on a decent disco or Jeep wrangler so we can play and still have funds for repairs and upgrades.
If anyone has any suggestions or know of any let me know!
Thanks for the info, we are very happy that we won't be buying an XC 90 and being disappointd with the results when we damage it.

Seems to be my day but we'll trudge on and see what's over the next dune so to speak
Thanks,
gatorgirl

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

Contact Jo,
He is selling a 2004 V8 4.6ltr L/R Disco. 2" lift kit, metal ARB front bumper, Monster Michelin tyres and more, about your price range.
The brakes are new as are front and rear diffs.
Jo went everywhere with this beastie.

check this link.

http://www.ad4x4.com/modules.php?name=F ... pic&t=5966
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350

Mac
Honorary Member
Honorary Member

Post by Mac »

We ran a works drive/BBQ today in Khatim and one of my work colleagues had his XC 90. He has never driven in the sand in his life.

He had 3 pax, enough food to feed Somalia and let me tell you that car went everywhere with no problems at all. When a Pajero couldn,t get up a slope this XC 90 just paddled past him effortlessly.

Halwa came out to help me and even he was amazed, cos we thought we were going to have problems with it.

This was no ANIT route either, a good newbie run at least.

So for newbie runs go for it. The driver took my advice and was easy at the bottom of long dunes where it levelled out so as not to damage his bumper, but it was so good in the sand.

And yes the XC 90 has recovery points, they are hidden behind 2 plastic shields, but we didn,t need them as he didn,t get stuck :lol:

Thanks again Halwa.
mac@ad4x4.com
Member #63
Overseas Marshal
Tynemouth.
UK.
+447875947350