Chinmay - FJ
Clinton - Hilux
Bashar - FJ
Ahmed - Pajero (sweep)

Advance Convoy and Floating Support:
Andrei - FJ (lead)
Ahmed - FJ
Alex - 4runner (sweep & support)

Some updates about the Um Al Oush track, its been graded recently which is wonderful, however the storm washed out some big ditches into the middle of the road and its very dangerous. Everyone generally arrived on time and in good spirits. We had a wonderful camp the night before and the morning was cool and pleasant. The sad was so hard though, hardly a need to deflate.

With the sand being so hard i tried a new style of driving "sand crawling" we put the cars in low range and walked our way slow and steady over the dunes. It seemed as though we could climb anything and we practiced controlling the cars and hooking the wheels onto the top of the dune.
We had a hair raising moment on a crest that was a bit too high (i should have turned down earlier) and one of the team took a bit too much speed and lost the edge. we secured and guided him down and continued.

After some time, Tim took over and put us on a more conventional track with some good practice on the side slopes. After alot of coaching and safety briefings everyone seemed to be getting the hang of their cars and the track.

We got back to the track in good time and everyone did well.

Thanks Tim for leading and thanks to Volod, Andrei and Alex for the support.

See you next time.

Zak

Dirtdiver
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Um Al Oush Before Summer

Post by Dirtdiver »

Thanks Zak for organizing this trip and the camping. Today was definitely a learning experience for all in the hard sands. With your guidance and instructions all the drivers seemed to get the hang of it and maintained control of their vehicles during the last part of the trip. Looking forward to seeing everyone back out in the sands soon,

Tim

Sbrune
Intermediate
Intermediate

Re: Um Al Oush Before Summer

Post by Sbrune »

Great trip, just like the company. I couldn't join the camping the night before, but the sunrise view was stunning at my arrive. The sand was firm after the heavy rains, and Zak adjusted the trip type to fit the situation. Excellent route and excellent training to understand the feel of the car. Fantastic passages even in the Sebckha.
Thanks also to Tim that part lead he trip.
Tanks again to Zak also for the little snack having during a technical stop!!