Al Fayah Mornings (INT)

All reports about trips and events
SandSailor
Marshal
Marshal

Al Fayah Mornings (INT)

Post by SandSailor »

We met at deflation point at around 8:15am. It was me, Pradeep, Amer and Canalp as Iyad and Salman got stuck due to the road closures bcs of the bike race. We decided to start and pick them up when they arrive and ready. After the briefing the starting convoy order was;

Sandsailor
PradeepMohan (Pradeep - 2nd Lead)
Amerx20 (Amer)
Fuzuli (Canalp - Sweep)

We roamed around the technical area at the start then towards bigger dunes warming up and practicing straight cresting, climbing, desending and side sloping. After around 40-45mins into the drive we had an unfortunate incident as during a side slope Amer slid down hitting his front left tire damaging his upper/lower controls and steering as well as rim which ripped into three pieces damaging the tire as well. Left back tire also popped out.

Our next 2-2.5 was a great example of hard team work to get the spare out, jack the car up, fix the first pop out, get the damaged rim out and replace with spare and finally pull the heavy 4Runner out to the gatch to put it on the recovery truck. We were not too far from deflation hence Iyad and Salman joined and helped us, which made this happen as their help and Iyads F150 was instrumental to get this recovery done.

It was an advanced recovery learning experience for all while being hard work. The rim center (replica methods hence teared) was bended making it harder to get out. As the left tire was out of direction bcs of damaged controls, it made it very difficult to pull the car, digging in all the time. We needed to try and iterate, reitarate, tweaking solutions until finding the best or that works. Used even Salmans winch at one point for better alignment and positioning. At the end we used two straps to pull; one connecting the two front recovery points, other one tied to this strap (with soft shackles so can freely move if need be creating a triangle) and the other end to recovery point of Iyads F150 giving both some space as well as force distribution, and giving travel flex of having two straps. Way out was not the easiest as although shortest distance to the gatch was pehaps a half of what we did, we had to pick the most straight and easier route, giving two breaks in due course to cool down the rubbing tire. At the end made it to gatch, put the 4R on the recovery truck. Unfortunate event but thanks God everyone was ok.

Pradeep also needed to leave given time so 4 of us me, Canalp (2nd Lead), Salman and Iyad (Sweep) went back in and played some more before finishing at original deflation point.

Great example of comradeship today and I am both very happy with and proud of the team I was part of. Everyone chipped in to make it work, including Iyad’s son (MasaAllah 🧿) which made our sweaty sandy and tired faces smile all the time.

I defn owe you guys a more fun trip towards ponds and hoping to do that next time InshaAllah. C u on sand!

Emre 🏜️⚓️
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SandSailor
056 312 2200
Wrangler JKU