Al Faya - Cool Newbies / ANIT / 20 AUG 2023

All reports about trips and events
Redbeard
Explorer
Explorer

Al Faya - Cool Newbies / ANIT / 20 AUG 2023

Post by Redbeard »

Thank you Zak for posting this trip and allowing me to part-lead.

We met at Al Faya deflation at 06:00 and by ~06:20 everyone had deflated.
I gave the ANIT briefing, following the checklist from Marshals guide.

We had 15 drivers signed up for this trip with 2 no-shows, so after the safety briefing the group was split into a fewbie and an ANIT/Newbie convoy.
This trip report is for the ANIT/Newbie convoy.

Convoy:
Marshal Zak / Expert Mikkel - Lead/second lead, swapping a few times along the way
Tim
Kevin
Anton
Ibrahim
Sunaif
Ghias - Official sweeper

We lined up and did our radio check, and as we were getting ready to head off we got a surprise visit from Mohammed Hunaidi, and we had the pleasure of his company in our ANIT/Newbie convoy as a roaming marshal.
We headed into an area with smaller dunes not far from the highway, moving south/south-west. We found a few straight crests, intending to do these early before it got too hot.
We had a few stucks on the crests, with Ghias doing most of our recoveries.
On our last straight crest, one driver was a bit overeager on the throttle and unfortunately did some damage to his car. We inspected the car and determined the damage was largely cosmetic, and it was safe to continue if the driver was inclined to do so - he was, so we continued our trip heading past the heavy vehicle inspection center and then turning east towards the larger dunes in Al Faya.

We had a few cars get stuck in the soft sand, giving us opportunity to practice self-recovery techniques. As our 9 AM trip end time approached, we headed back toward the highway to conclude our trip.

Thanks again Zak for making this trip happen, thank you Ghias for being an excellent sweeper with constant and clear communication with the trip leader. Thank you to all the drivers and once again welcome to AD4x4, we hope to see you all in the sand again soon!
And a special thank you to Mohammed for joining us today, it was a pleasure to finally meet you :)

Dirtdiver
Explorer
Explorer

Re: Al Faya - Cool Newbies / ANIT / 20 AUG 2023

Post by Dirtdiver »

It looked like a nice trip from the pictures. I am sorry I had to miss it.

Octopus
Marshal
Marshal

Post by Octopus »

Very well done Mikkel. Good briefing and good trip management along with excellent communication during the drive. I like your patient way with the details and instructions.

Perfect sweep from Ghias im sure you are tired after all the recoveries.

Thanks to alll who joined and hope to see you all soon especially MegaMoe

ghiasg
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by ghiasg »

Many Thanks Zak and Mikkel for the trip and detailing. Thanks for the trust and giving me the opertunity to sweep the convoy. Looking forward for many more to come.

MegaMoe
Main Founder - Member #1
Main Founder - Member #1

Post by MegaMoe »

What a lovely day and feeling to back to the desert, pleasure meeting you all and looking forward to see u all again
FIRST, BEST and BIGGEST offroading club, we will always be LEADING, others will just FOLLOW....
Member #1, Proudly the Main Founder.,
Chevy Silverado Z71

Mhamidi001
Explorer
Explorer

Post by Mhamidi001 »

Great Trip guys. Thank you Zak and Mikkel.