Trip Report Intemediate Khazna – Sweihan 24 Jan

All reports about trips and events
tompa-bjorka
Marshal
Marshal

Trip Report Intemediate Khazna – Sweihan 24 Jan

Post by tompa-bjorka »

We met at 9AM at Khazna deflation point. One driver (Sinan) called and were late because of google misdirection (might happen when coming from Dubai, google thinks closest way from Sweihan to Khazna in through the Shaikh big farm, which will not work well). Other drivers were:

Snawara (Sunil)
Bisharbn (Bishar)
Miira-M (Mira)
Sameer_dg (Sameer)
Mytommi (Thomas)
Mornay.

Proper briefing was held, emphasizing the additional risks when driving in the sand conditions like now when the sand is hard and wet below the top layer. During briefing Mornays son expropriated my demonstration toy Toyota FJ car, which I gladly let him keep it because Mornay drives a Jeep :).

Convoy took off with Sunil as 2nd lead and Sameer_dg as sweeper. Unfortunately, Mornay’s car soon started to make strange noise, so he decided to leave the trip. The announced late driver arrived and we went back to pick him up at deflation point.

This was bisharbn’s first intermediate so we started with practicing side-sloping in safe manners, selecting some smaller dunes. This all went very well and after some time we increased level a little, all doing fine.

The trip went from Khazna to Sweihan, using 10km of the road following the north side of the farm to get to the area with big dunes close to Sweihan. There we passed Kidney Bowl and the big bowl which has a burned out car (LC) on the top, where we stopped for a photo session. Couple of second tries and a tricky recovery of one car who's driver decided he was going to do some side cresting on his own during a break, without telling the marshal about his intentions….not good.

Otherwise all fine, everybody showed good control of the cars while side sloping, and kept proper distance in convoy. 2nd lead did a good job changing tracks when needed and sweeper communicated well. Just before 1 PM we reached the Sweihan road for inflation, some drivers continued right to the afternoon meeting point for the next drive. Trip meter showed 48km for this drive.

Thanks everyone for joining and see you next time.

/Thomas

Mytommi
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Trip Report Intemediate Khazna – Sweihan 24 Jan

Post by Mytommi »

My co-pilot and I enjoyed the trip very much (He can't wait now to get his own car).

Thomas did a great job in organising and leading the trip, carefully selecting opportunities for us to improve our driving skills and giving useful advice.

Thanks a lot
Thomas

sameer_dg
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by sameer_dg »

It was a very good experience thank you Thomas

snaware
Advanced
Advanced

Post by snaware »

My guest enjoyed the trip to the fullest.....Thanks a lot Thomas for organizing this trip.

Nice and smooth track with spice of few large climbs & descents....enjoyed the lovely desert after almost 4 months.