Beat the Heat Again - 21/6/19 - Advanced - Al Khazna

Post by petro »

Attendees
Marshal : Fido Dido & Tompa Bjorka
Expert: Petro
Advanced: Bhavesh, The Baron
Stuck in India: Falcon89

This was my second trip leading.

We meet at the Al Khazna meeting point at 7:30 AM, deflated and met for a briefing. I had planned to read the briefing guide on my phone, but the text was small and difficult to read. Next time I should prepare a more detailed briefing before the trip. In the briefing I went over the basics of safety, and gave a brief demonstration with a toy car about not fighting gravity, not getting two front wheels over the crest first when side cresting and not stopping sideways on a slope. Marshalls Fido Dido and Tompa Bjorka provided a few other recommendations for safety.

We started our trek close to the deflation point at a location recommended to me by Waqmaster. I found this to be an excellent starting point. The dunes here were large and spread out and flowed very nicely. The location was here: https://goo.gl/maps/qGYcUP6hJ1GBrPQx7

I took a relatively slow track, and tried to be conservative in my decisions. I tried to plan out my path far in advance for sideslopping and sidecresting to make sure the path was clear ahead. I found a few occasions though were I came down a slope towards bushes. I will need to plan sidecresting better so that I don’t have to come down on a bush.

We stopped at the group of trees that is the normal break point in Khazna. From their we followed the dunes towards the bowls. Upon reaching the bowls we played a little in them, got some pictures and videos, and practiced the technique of getting out of a bowl from the bottom.

From their we left the bowls and headed towards the Sweihan exit. At the sweihan exit we reinflated and concluded the trip.

Everyone drove very well. I was impressed by Bhaveshes finesse style where he seemed to do much of what I had done with power, instead with finesse. I think everyone enjoyed the day, despite being pretty hot and humid it was a perfect day for driving in the desert (aren’t the all :).

Thanks again to Fido Dido for supporting me on this trip!

FidoDido
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Beat the Heat Again - 21/6/19 - Advanced - Al Khazna

Post by FidoDido »

It was nice seeing all of you again.

Well done Petro with your lead. Nice track.

Everyone did great.

Till next time, have nice week ahead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Amr - JKU - 0502001035

tompa-bjorka
Marshal
Marshal

Post by tompa-bjorka »

Well done Kevin, it was nice track lead. My passenger was in the desert for the first time, he took a lot of good photos which I will share, need to put some of them on the ad4x4 web page.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Baron
Explorer
Explorer

Post by The Baron »

Good lead, Kevin - very enjoyable drive and great to be back in the sand after a few weekends off.

Bhav
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Bhav »

Thank you Kevin, This was an excellent trip. I look forward to the seeing all the fantastic photos shot by Thomas' passenger. Bhavesh

petro
Marshal
Marshal

Post by petro »

Thanks guys. I don't see any Advanced trips next weekend, so guess I'll see if I can find a support to lead another trip.