Report: Riding the Crests of Khazna (INT++ Sat 6/4 PM)

All reports about trips and events
Flaghunter
Marshal
Marshal

Report: Riding the Crests of Khazna (INT++ Sat 6/4 PM)

Post by Flaghunter »

By popular demand on yesterday's trip, I've announced a last minute intermediate++ trip to practice some basic side-cresting on small to medium dunes. What better place is there than Khazna to do just that. We met at 1:30pm and by 2pm, we were all briefed and in the sand.

The convoy consisted of:

* Michal (Flaghunter) - Lead
* Rene (The Baron) - Second Lead
* Kamran (Kamran 143)
* Isham (ishampn)
* Mark (loefflmj1)
* Kevin (petro)
* Marshall Matt (PearlyGates59) - Sweeper

We did exactly what the trip said on the tin: practiced as much side-cresting as we could in a safe manner. We took frequent short breaks and reached the bowls on the Sweihan side around 4:30pm. Michal messed up one of his tyres and rim after a steep descend into the rocky bottom of one of the bowls. Luckily all other drivers were informed on the radio to go very slow, so no other damage apart from a Raptor bumper.

After we changed the wheel on Michal's Jeep, we headed back along the fence straight to the inflation point, which we reached at about 5:30pm. Thank you guys for all the help.

Thanks Matt for your support and Rene for the Second Lead. Everybody did very well but it is clear that we need a few more trips to pracice the basics of side-cresting. I will announce one for next Saturday, in hope that at least one of my vehicles will be drivable after this weekned. Till next time!
Flaghunter, Wrangler TJ 2005, 0544727447

loefflmj1
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Report: Riding the Crests of Khazna (INT++ Sat 6/4 PM)

Post by loefflmj1 »

Thank you Michal for a superior learning experience. That was a great, well-structured and safe track you laid out for us. Kamran did a great job and clearly demonstrated his well-deserved upgrade to Advanced that evening. Glad to see Isham make it out. So glad we got that one stubborn lug-nut off, congrats to Rene for his perserverance to show that nut who was boss. Thanks again and will definitely sign up if you post a trip next Saturday. Awesome!
Mark

petro
Marshal
Marshal

Re: Report: Riding the Crests of Khazna (INT++ Sat 6/4 PM)

Post by petro »

Thanks Michal for leading these Saturday trips so those of us who are addicted to the desert can spend the whole weekend there :)

This was a fun trip and an excellent learning experience for the intermediates to safely learn side cresting. I felt that when I was moved to advanced without much side cresting practice it was a huge step. I think learning slowly is much better.