Sundowner BBQ – Trip Report

All reports about trips and events
Uristier
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Uristier »

At the meeting time we missed two laties who were enjoining a morning trip. I deemed that waiting would be unfair for the on-timers and we left for the deflation point :oops:

Just before we were ready for the sand, the two laties arrived (no speed cameras on the way?) and in a perfect AD4x4 spirit :hoya: the 8 wheels were immediately “attacked” by the on-timers. To speed up the deflation process we were cheating a bit and drained the air only from the lower part of the tire. This was acceptable for the laties and in no time we were all ready for the sand.

But as soon as we started our way to the sundowner bbq, the cloud gate opened. There was a certain treat that the sundowner bbq could be changed to a “water fall” bbq. But again the AD4x4 spirit could not stop us and we were rewarded by an interesting terrain.

As usual a technical stop here and there and because of the interesting terrain some members would try it twice … sometimes.

Mosalf was taking the fun and even practiced a Pop Out – well done mate :okie: . At least you know where the wheel jack is located and how to use it. And you can still use the broken base plate for cutting sawarma.

Regardless of the rain we found Ali’s Ghaf Tree Coffee Shop open and could not resist in having a short coffee break.

On our way to the bbq we met with Eisa’s group and decided to meet for the bbq. In between I heard the announcement of the “Double Marshal Stuck” in Xof’s trip. Looking forward to see the double trouble marshal stuck pics.

We arrived at the bbq place in a good time and Gladi conveyed the coordinates to Eisa’s group. Thanks Gladi – well done.

Later at night Arbab Yehia arrived out of the dark. While still standing on the top of the dune two pedestrians emerged from the dark. Uuuuups a couple was stranded (for two hours) in the dunes and were seeking help from our group. Thanks Khaiwi and Tajkeh for taking care of this issue.

Finally we left the bbq leaving the young Gladiator behind with Eisa’s group. Our way to civilisation was relaxing but challenging. I would imagine that some adrenalin rushed into the bloodstream of Marco’s veins when his front recovery lug broke off during a night recovery exercise. Luckily it was only an exercise but no “real emergency”.

We all reached the “civilisation gate” safe and sound and inflated the lower part of the tires. After a final chat we left for a deserved rest.

Thanks to pumukl and Gladiator for assistance and to all trip members for making this another trip to remembers.

Cheers
Uristier

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

Re: Sundowner BBQ – Trip Report

Post by Dune_Phantom »

Uristier wrote: Thanks to pumukl and Gladiator for assistance and to all trip members for making this another trip to remembers.
Cheers
Uristier
Post Edited to include pictures.

Urister, Gladiator and Pumukl, many thanks for this lovely trip which as so full of excitement for all of us. Especially thanks to God for the rain, it was a different day in the desert for all of us I guess, the clear blue sky, the orange - yellowish sand and the water drops...we missed the rainbow tough..guess there will be other times.

Urs, thanks for accepting us laties :mrgreen: I guess Waleed must know every camera from Hatta road to Sweihan..we reach Sweihan unscathed.

Right from the word go, Urs, you had me at the edge of my drivers seat....thoroughly enjoyed the experience and luckily no stucks, several self recoveries (thanks to a well known FJ driving Marshal) but a pop out which happened as the person in front of me slowed down before the crest and I turned quickly to go with the flow of the dune ;) :) :D

Once again thanks to the recovery master, the tyre was inflated pretty much quickly and thanks to Gladiator and ofcourse URS - lesson learned - wash rim after Pop out and before fixing the tyre.

One thing I am very proud and my back still hurts to show it, I completed a course in recoveries :lol:

Heh heh, feel like going out again, thanks to all members, especially Alf, Marko, Aleez and all the others. See you in the sand again. :twisted:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Dune_Phantom on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Phantom - Ghost Who drives in the Dunes...:mrgreen: :D

marco
Advanced
Advanced

Post by marco »

Thanks Urs for this very nice trip.
I think we had a lot of fun.
Thanks also to all other participating friends.
We received a lot of help by the more experienced ones and we helped each other substantially.
And most of all: we learned something new and we added new experiences to our "palmares".
Ciao
Marco
PS I hope the engineer who designed the JK front recovery lug will not get a salary increase ....
Trips with AD 4X4 till date = 83

alezz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by alezz »

Urs, it's was amaizing. I think during this day my offroad expirience growed up double.
Big thanks to you for extrimly intersting route in wet desert, big thanks to Pumukl and Mosalf for recovery, big thanks to Gladiator for advices. Bif thanks to all trip members for excellent companionship. I shall be very happy to meet all you next time.
One more thing make me happy. My new engine work excellent
Trips: ANIT(2), Newbie(18), Intermediate(14), GPS Hunt 2014
055 200 10 92

Putin = Hitler.v.2
Who is your friend you will know in disaster. And who is your foe also

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Dune_Phantom »

alezz wrote:
Big thanks to Pumukl and Mosalf for recovery, .
One more thing make me happy. My new engine work excellent
Hi Aleez, really enjoyed driving with you. Keep a safe distance and see you in the sand again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alezz
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by alezz »

Mosalf wrote:
Hi Aleez, really enjoyed driving with you. Keep a safe distance and see you in the sand again.
Excuse me for this inconvenience. I just rereading RTA Road Users Handbook, to refresh my memory, how to do it correct. :)
So you make two trips in one day? :o :o :o
One in Dubai, second in AD? :o :o :o
Trips: ANIT(2), Newbie(18), Intermediate(14), GPS Hunt 2014
055 200 10 92

Putin = Hitler.v.2
Who is your friend you will know in disaster. And who is your foe also

Dune_Phantom
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Dune_Phantom »

alezz wrote:
Mosalf wrote:
Excuse me for this inconvenience. I just rereading RTA Road Users Handbook, to refresh my memory, how to do it correct. :)
So you make two trips in one day? :o :o :o
One in Dubai, second in AD? :o :o :o
:lol: yeah, Waleeds Dubai early bird and Urs - Sundowner. Alf was with us and he and I had a great time. Will do it at every opportunity!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pumukl
Advanced
Advanced

Post by pumukl »

Hi Urs,

thanks again for a nice trip!
I really enjoyed it to go out again with you after so much time :)

The weather was a bit wet during the trip, but the wet fire wood was finally burning after all the the fire accelerant we added :D :D :D
The camp fire was nice and without rain :)

All in all a great trip :)

Thanks to everybody for the nice company and hope to see you all soon again somewhere out there in the big sandpit 8-)

Cheers
Ingmar

PS: Sorry Marco for your tow hook, but I guess it was already partially fractured - lucky me, because I assume that's the reason why it flew only half the way towards me and didn't crashed into my car :)
Maybe you find a new nice tow hook at one of the shops that comes already with a fancy new bumper attached to it :D

marco
Advanced
Advanced

Post by marco »

@ Pumukl
Never mind Ingmar it was probably already damaged.
Luckily there were no damages to cars and people.
You are right I have already found a new front recovery lug with attached a new bumper with attached a winch and also a kit for lifting the Jeep.
Pretty expensive for just a lug but much more exiting...
Thanks again for your help.
Marco
Trips with AD 4X4 till date = 83