Oman - Wadi trip report

All reports about trips and events
Uristier
Advanced
Advanced

Oman - Wadi trip report

Post by Uristier »

Kiwi, Dune Watheq and me met with some delay. Unfortunately Watheq disovered some passport and visa issues. As a consequence we lost our bbq master. :oops: :oops: :oops:

With one hour delay we met with Jo & Tweet, completed the customs formalities and started our drive to Niza. An easy night drive turned into a more challenging drive at Ibri when the road was flooded at several places. Eventually we arrived in Nizwa at 11.30 pm.

After a good breakfast at 7 pm it was time to visit the Nizwa market from where we left to the Al Hoota Cave. While Jo & Tweety, Mark & Cath, Dune and his gang visited the cave, Heidi and I enjoyed a 15 Dirham Tee.

A change in program brought us to the village An Nakhur, the end of Wadi Ghul at the foot of Jabal Shams with the 1000 meter cliffs. The narrow gorge with the high cliffs caused the GPS satellite signal to be lost.

We had a lunch brake in An Nakhur, turned around the city square and continued towards Tanuf and to the top of Jabal Al Akhdar (2000 m ASL).

After the steep climb there was a steep descent into Wadi Bani Awf with amazing scenery. Unfortunately the Snake Canyon was “dry” - no refreshing jump.

We decided to “set up” the camp site and preparing for the bbq. Due to the lack of our bbq master :twisted: :twisted: , almost everybody was involved in preparing for the bbq. After a refreshing “DRINK” prepared by Cath :lol: :lol: , all went fast and easy. Quickly we could enjoy the first “Blackburgers”.

Sitting in an open air cinema around the campfire and managed by Jo we watched the “Abu Dhabi Adventure fun” video after which it was time to set for a sleep.

After an early breakfast we hit the Wadi track again at 8 am and continued our journey through Wadi Bani Awf and Wadi Sahtan towards Rustaq. On tarmac road back to Ibri and Mezyad border post where Jo and Tweety said good bye (to collect Chico who had to stay back). We decided for a quick detour to Wadi Madbah. It was worth driving the extra mile for a refreshing swim in the pool.

We reached Abu Dhabi around 5 pm, tired but with some new unforgettable memories.

Cheers
Urs

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

Thanks Urs for this lead.

We had a great time. A flooded Ibri at night is worth a trip :wink: .

Sometimes it was as sort of "Japanese 2-day-see-all-of-Europe-trip" but we managed the scheduled program plus Nizwa Friday Market plus Wadi Ghul plus, plus...

Jabel Akhdar is always a challange. Especially lead by Urs knowing the hidden tracks using only short pieces of tarmac-road. Coming from 45C in the valley to 30C at 2000m and what a view... That's cool man 8)

The decend into the valley was a bit swetty for the car decided to switch of the powersteering, powerbreaks and what was more nagging: NO AC!!!!!!

Snake Canyon is a spot! The campsite was a great choice. But I am sure that most of us are going now for the AC-tents :lol: :lol:

Saturday we continued the Wadi-part with very spectacular sceneries framed by the massive rocks of Jabal Akhdar and Jabel Shams.

Sorry for leaving you early but we had a deadline to pick-up Chico :chico:.

Urs, you are "wandering" in Mpenzies footsteps. Give us more!

Thanks for the great time an company!

:hat:
Last edited by Jo on Sun Jun 08, 2008 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Kiwi

Post by Kiwi »

A big thank you URS for a wonderful introduction to Oman.
Cathy & I enjoyed ourselves, the mountains, valleys, and extreme vertical cliffs of Jabal Shams were impressive. Along with a good bunch of fellow explorers!
We will be keen to head back and explore more of Oman in the future – after the summer heat passes!
blacksheep for ever

STOP THE DICTATORSHIP

Where is democracy

Jo
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Jo »

... updated the gallery...

:hat:
The lunatics have taken over the asylum

Dune
Intermediate
Intermediate

Post by Dune »

Urs,

A delayed thank you. We (my son Jonathan, Jordan, Jack and I) really enjoyed the trip. It was really good introduction to the area. A treat for us.

Kevin

Tweety
Advanced
Advanced

Post by Tweety »

Yes it was a fantastic trip........maybe now to hot for camping.......but I would do it again :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
be wise.... buy a Jeep